Monday, February 8, 2010

Cuban Black Bean Soup- from Daisy Cooks!

Daisy's Recipes: Cuban Black Bean Soup

A Trip to Cuba

Nothing says Cuban cooking like their beloved frijol negro -- black bean. In this episode, Daisy prepares "Moors and Christians," black beans served with white rice, and a delicious Cuban black bean soup. Also on the menu is Ropa Vieja, or "Old Clothes"; a fantastic dish of slow-cooked, fork-tender beef.


Cuban Black Bean Soup

Sopa de Frijoles Negros al Estilo Cubano

I like a little heat in my black bean soup, so I add a tiny piece of Scotch bonnet chili pepper like I do in the previous soup. If you don't, leave it out. This is such a favorite of mine, that a bowl of this and a little crusty  ( use Gluten Free if needed)  bread is a meal. I also think of this as my "ice cream sundae" soup--fill bowls with the soup and let people top them as they like.


Black Beans (recipe follows) (or use canned beans Eden brand has no BPA liner)
How to cook the black beans (leave out ham hock if vegetarian)
 http://www.daisycooks.com/pages/recipes_detail.cfm?ID=37

Two 14 1/2-ounce cans chicken broth ( or use veggie broth)

1/2 cup Sofrito (see "Staples") (I used a recipe from the internet)
http://www.daisycooks.com/pages/recipes_detail.cfm?ID=1


1/2 cup canned Spanish-style tomato sauce ( I leave the tomatoes out I am allergic/intolerant)

3 tablespoons alcaparrado or chopped pimiento-stuffed olives (no olives either for me- allergic/intolerant)

1 tablespoon fine sea or kosher salt (I use sea salt)

Healthy dose freshly ground black pepper ( no black pepper for me either- allergic/intolerant)

1/4 Scotch bonnet or jalapeƱo pepper (avoid if not using nightshades)

I would also add carrots and celery to this soup and you can puree half of the beans and/or veggies to make the soup thicker

Also right at the end I would add a few large handfuls of chopped kale or baby spinach leaves!!! Just to wilt them before eating...

Any or all of the following "sundae toppings"

Cooked white rice (I would use brown rice)

Chopped red or white onion

Chopped cilantro (good for ridding heavy metals from the body)

One-quarter of a Scotch bonnet or jalapeno pepper, optional

Sour cream (they have dairy free sour cream at health food stores, most contain soy instead--or use avacado or guacamole)

Olive oil (Can't have olive oil either lately...will use avacado oil)







1. Make the black beans.





2. Stir the chicken broth, sofrito, tomato sauce, alcaparrado or olives, salt, pepper, and chili pepper into the black beans. Bring everything to a boil over medium-high heat. skim off any foam that rises to the surface. Continue boiling until the soup is nice and thick, with just enough liquid to cover the beans. Pull the pot off the heat and let it sit 5 to 10 minutes so the beans soak up a little more of the liquid. Serve hot, ladled into warm bowls. Pass the toppings you have prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment